Mason's Ironstone was founded by a family of potters who traded under various names in the early 19th century but was finally named Mason's Ironstone Ltd in 1969. The famous 'Blue Mandalay' design is highly collectable and features Mason's wonderful use of rich blue, vivid ironstone red and beautifully hand applied gold.
All Masons Patterns
|Blue Mandalay||Christmas Village|
Having amassed considerable wealth through the import of oriental china, Miles Mason decided to open his own works in 1804. Heavily influenced by the designs that he once imported, the Minerva Works was soon creating blue and white ware that was in much demand. With the help of his third son Charles, the factory received a patent for 'Ironstone China', a hardened earthenware that was particularly strong that could be used for tiles in fireplaces and flooring, as well as everyday china.
By the 1820's Mason's was making a broad selection of oriental style patterns, as well as landscapes of Italy and beyond, influenced in the latest trend of the European Grand Tour.
The factories remained in the Mason family until 1848 when they were sold to Francis Morley, and it wasn't long before production moved to Broad Street Works, Stoke on Trent. Over the next century the company changed hands four times, but the product remained true to its founding father, with oriental designs in rich hues, often highlighted with gold.
It wasn't until 1969 that the company became known as Mason's Ironstone Ltd., after the great innovation many years before. Mason's became part of the Wedgwood Group in 1973.